Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My solo candlelight dinner

I love sharing dinner with my husband, but I look forward to the times he is on night work and I can cook what I want. It usually involves a lot of vegetables and feta cheese. He is a real trooper, trying new stuff here and there, but overall, he is pretty good at taking a few bites, giving me a sideways look as if to say, "I am sure YOU this is good, but I don't like it."
So, he worked the other night and after a long day of cleaning the house, going for a jog and playing with the dog at the park, I needed a serious cache of calories. I put on a pot of boiling water and threw in some shredded red cabbage. In a frying pan, I dumped 2 tablespoons of olive oil and let it warm. I sauted 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/4 cup onion and 1/4 cup red pepper. When those veggies started to get tender, I added one cup of fresh spinach and watched it wilt. Soon, the cabbage was tender, so I drained it and added it to the fry pan. I boiled 1 cup of whole wheat pasta noodles. In the meantime, I added 1/2 cup of imitation crab meat to frying pan. In a few minutes, I dumped the noodles and the veggies into one gigantic bowl. I sprinkled it with 2 tablespoons of feta cheese and had myself a colorful pasta dish that reminded me of summer. So, I lit some candles and put on soft music. It was a relaxing way to end my weekend!

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Sounds yummy -- and easy enough!