Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Power hour

I am really proud of myself for finally finding the courage to take the power tool plunge. There are so many ideas on Pinterest (my new addiction) that require a little knowledge of drills, screws and saws. And surpisingly, it's really easy to use these tools that are usually reserved for the man of the house.  My dad spent a little time showing me a little of the ropes. I just took a deep breath and dove in. I wanted to create something unique that wasn't on Pinterest. I have an industrial look in my kitchen. It's painted grey with copper and silver accents. I don't really know how the idea came to me, it just did as I was digging through my tool box. I uncovered the old knobs I took off my built-in buffet (copper). They were replaced with cool yellow jeweled baubles. So, I had the cool tin trough with the copper handles and the copper handles. I decided to make a shelf-style storage container for the kitchen. I have no idea what will go in it, but that is for another day.

Who knew you could drill tin? Well...I did break one drill bit (shhhh.) I measured the bottom and tried to evenly space the handles. I marked my drill spot with a Sharpie. I simple hammered a little nail to make a dent to prevent the drill from slipping. And, I pulled the trigger. After the three holes were drilled, I installed the handles. The two outer ones aren't as tight as I would like them to be. I have done a little troubleshooting and haven't found a solution. I got to frustration level and put it aside for now. However, I think it turned out OK.  The hanging mechanism is screws and nuts wrapped with thick picture wire. This project cost me $0! I had everything in my house. All I needed was a little inspiration.

No comments: