Sunday, August 25, 2013

Redone desk

This little beauty wasn't so bad before in the left picture, however, it was a very poor paint job, and I wanted to give it new life. The paint was chipping and bubbly in spots. It was also really, really shiny. The color is very popular right now, but I still felt like it needed something to revive it. And who doesn't love shabby chic.



I started off with some paint stripper only to find that whomever painted it really didn't take their time nor have concern for the nice piece of real workmanship of this desk. The tongue and groove drawers and great construction showed that this desk was very sturdy and would certainly stand the test of time. The stripper was making a such a royal mess, I asked my little princess to help me clean up.
So after attempting to strip without success (blisters, sweat and curse words later), I decided this was a candidate for a good sanding job, primer and a fresh coat of paint.  I ended up just cleaning it up the best that I could and sanding it as smooth as I could. I applied a coat or white primer. Then took to painting.  Instead of painting, then sanding to make the distressed look, I decided to experiment with some painting techniques. This is what the drawer looked like before as I was trying to strip.Then the after. To get the look, I painted the drawer with primer. Painted a layer of green called Canteen.
                                                                                                                   After that dried, I took a lighter aqua color. I dipped my brush in water first, then in paint. I lightly brushed the drawer and then dabbed off the excess with a paper towel. When that dried, I drug a little stain over the drawer. And that was all. I decided to avoid a lot of distress, I only accented the drawers with the paint technique and used the canteen green and aqua to paint the rest. I am pleased with the results. I finished it off with a wax instead of polyurethane because I wanted it to look more natural and less shiny. I am please. The plan now is to sell the desk, however, I am not sure where to even start. How much to I charge, where do I list it? This is the first piece that I didn't do for myself, even though I think it would look awesome in Ayla's room!                                    
 

No comments: