Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Glorius garden treasures

I ventured out to the garden this morning and what I found was a jungle of green vines entangled among each other. The tomato and cucumber plants have taken over everything else in the garden. I think the green beans and zucchini are finally done producing, which gives me time to focus on the peppers that are dangling from the plants. The tomatoes are going to inundate me in a few days. With Nate keeping an eye on Moose, I had some time to tackle the over abundance of fruits and vegetables I have been collecting.
I blanched the green beans and froze them. I chopped up the hot yellow peppers and froze those, too. I gave away some cucumbers when I was at school for meetings, but still found more this morning. I am going to try this recipe from Real Simple for Chilled Cucumber Soup. I mean, a girl can only take so much cucumber salad.

Here it is:

3/4 cup sour cream
4 scallions, roughly chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded (which I happen to have a ton of growing in my garden)
1/2 cup fresh basil (another ingredient that has gone ape wild in my garden)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
3 pounds cucumbers, about 4 peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
Kosher salt and pepper

In a blender, puree sour cream, scallions, jalapenos, basil, lime juice, half the cucumbers, 1/4 cup water, 3/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the remaining cucumbers and puree, adjusting the consistency with water as necessary, until smooth. Serve with baguette slices, thin slices of salami, feta and olives.

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

How did that cucumber soup turn out? Was it good?