Saturday, August 15, 2009

Insomnia

Oh how I loathe falling asleep at a decent hour only to wake up an hour later unable to return to my blessed slumber. It's been happening a lot lately. I lay there and think about how I should really cut my toenails. But the toenail scissors are downstairs, and I risk waking the dog to go get them. I think about how I would really like to lose 10 pounds, but never seem to stick to anything I try because I always have an excuse. I think about the book sitting beside my bed and how much I want to finish it. I think about the students returning to school in a week and how I am going to get them energized to start the school year off right. I wonder if my dress clothes still fit and if the 9th graders I have for Reading will be as good as the ones I had last year.
All of these wonderings are happening while I am supposed to be resting for a 60-mile bicycle ride tomorrow.
So, I get out of bed, sign onto Facebook and read status updates, look at photos and waste time. I check my e-mail over and over hoping something new and exciting will pop into it, even though it won't.
I toss and turn and try to get comfortable. I looked at old photo albums which makes me want to lose 10 pounds even more.
I turned on the TV for a few minutes, only to be disgusted at the lack of programming (despite my $75 a month satellite bill and hundreds of channels).
I have to get up at 6 a.m., drive to Lancaster and fight the heat to ride 60 miles. And, I can't sleep. The cruelty of it all!

No comments: