Monday, March 9, 2009

Amy's shower


The secret crafts were for Amy's shower, which was a surprise. We rented a beautiful bed and breakfast, so I didn't want to go all out on decorations. I wanted something simple, that would make it unique for Amy. I decided on canning jars mainly because I was able to borrow them for free. I filled some of them with coffee beans and a vanilla votive and tied a simple real ribbon to the top. Amy loves coffee and the combination makes a heavenly smell. I also bought some teal candles and filled the jars with rocks and used a brown bow. I had most of these items at the house...I just had to buy the candles (33 cents each at Wal-Mart) and the ribbon, which was also on sale at Wal-Mart. I wanted to do one really cool centerpiece for Amy to keep. I had a blueish candle that was a gift, but NOTHING in my house is blue. I placed it in a clear vase ($4.99 at Christmas Tree Shoppes) on top of shiny teal rocks ($1 a bag at Christmas Tree Shoppes...LOVE that store) and tied a brown bow around the outside. My real craftiness came out in the beaded flower that I added to the outside for some pop. All it required was some wire and seed beads, which I also already had in the house.
I really enjoyed crafting these fun and inexpensive decorations. It's easy if you just take a little time, creativity and a peek around the house to see what is already there.

3 comments:

Erin said...

You're so creative and have such great tips. Love the cupcake holder idea!

Nicki S. said...

I can't take the credit for the cupcake holder. That was Amy's brideasmaid Kristen. She made ALL of those cupcakes with her mom the night before...AWESOME!

Jen Vogelsong said...

I'm a huge fan of Christmas Tree Shoppes too! Just discovered them around the holidays and have been back several times since.