Sunday, March 1, 2009

Chicken Corn Soup

Whole chickens were on sale at Giant Thursday, so I decided it was a good time to make chicken corn soup. I use my mom's recipe. I just sort of wrote it down. There aren't really measurements or any real directions. But, I love making it. It makes the whole house smell good, and I enjoy chopping, dicing and adding ingredients. It was a great way to spend a Saturday. I also made Asian Rice Salad...but that's for another day!

Here's what the directions say:
Cook whole chicken off with diced onions and celery and chicken bouillon cubes. Once cooked, remove chicken to cool and put diced potatoes in the broth. Bring to a boil. Throw in frozen corn, chicken and sliced hard boiled eggs. For dough balls, crack an egg in a bowl. Add flour and water until consistent. Make sure water is boiling when you add the  dough balls. Add parsley, pepper and salt.

I like to let my simmer all day to fill my house with the awesome smell. Enjoy.





2 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Mmmm. What do you put in yours (or your mom's, I should say). I would love to make a big pot of soup right now but I have no stove, oven, or -- most importantly, as I'm learning -- sink. I thought I could get by with an electric skillet, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, but the whole not having water is a big issue. It's going to be a long March (maybe even April, but I'm hoping it won't take THAT long!)

Nicki S. said...

Jen, I missed your comments while you were away! I put chicken, as well as boillon powder, potatoes, onions and celery, dough balls (or rivels) hard boiled eggs, corn and seasoning (salt, pepper and parsley. Can you buy a hot plate until you have your stove back? I am sure you could use it again when you went camping......