Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Crock pot quickies

As you can see by the rate at which I have been posting on this Web site (as often as sloths move), I have been very busy. Well, my evenings are free, I just spend them sprawled out on the couch recovering from a bike ride or a long day with hormonal teenage boys.
Anyway, Nate is on day work, which means I try to make dinner. My showing this week hasn't been too bad. Well, Mondays he fends for himself because I have class, so I guess I didn't make anything. Tuesday I poured some salsa in the bottom of the slow cooker put in two chicken breasts and covered it with salsa and voila, we had just about the most moist and tender chicken I have ever tasted. It was perfect. I served it over rice.
Tonight, I made Italian subs. Not hard, I guess.
I took a barbecue pork loin and two chicken breasts out of the freezer. I am going to attempt to make General Tso's chicken and fried rice tomorrow. Hopefully the pork loin thaws by Friday. It's more than two pounds. (We'll have lots of leftovers.)
Nate and I both feel like we are always eating the same thing. In cycles, of course. I go in spells.
I get adventurous sometimes. Last week, I made beef tips in the Crock pot with a mushroom onion sauce. I had leftover cream of mushroom soup that I used to make tuna noodle casserole that is still in the fridge waiting to be cooked. Maybe I will make that tomorrow if the chicken doesn't work out. But inevitably, we always fall back on the old standbys. Beef and vegetables in the Crock pot with onion soup mix, etc.
One tip I do have to send off is that adding wine to cooking (in place of water, broth, etc.) makes meat taste awesome. Same with lemon juice. I know! Who would have thought?

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Man, this was a painful post for me to read. Made me hungry. And I still have no means of making any such yummies for myself. Someday....

Nice tip about the wine or lemon juice... I'll have to remember that.