Thursday, December 3, 2009

Black Friday Bonanza continued

So, after my Wal-mart adventure, I drove over to the Target Complex to a parking lot crowded with cars. It looked like the auto auction. People were parking on the grass on top of the hill. Who even knew there was a hill there?
As I walked into the store, I headed for the clothes. There were a few items that I wanted to pick up. I saw people lined up snaking through the store. I assumed it was like Wal-mart and people were waiting for electronics like video game systems, big screen TVs and Blue-ray players. Little did I know that this line was really the line to check out. I took my time browsing the aisles, only to find the items that I wanted were gone or picked over. I grabbed a few items and walked around the store to find the end of the line. It was back in the pet supplies, but snaked through every other department at least once. It lead into lingerie at least twice. There were employees directing "traffic." Thank goodness I ended up in line behind a very pleasant mother and daughter team, who were also out on their first (and last) Black Friday expedition. We had so much fun watching each others carts in line while the other went off on an adventure looking for items. The mom found me two of the items I wanted that I thought were sold out on other racks. They helped me match items together for my gift giving. It was so fun. I even found out the daughter and I are both in grad school at Temple and have classes on the same night. It was a long line, and I probably ended up spending $75 more than I did when I entered the line. That was the strategy of the marketing department, I am sure. People are on a spending high and just keep throwing items in the cart. I saw it happen over and over again! Even items that weren't on sale were flying into carts. I even bought a few regular priced items. I am hoping that the items go on sale soon and I can get a price adjustment. Well, after I finally exited Target with $175 more on my credit card (but a $10 Target gift card for spending $100) I stopped at Boscovs where I picked up three items (two of which I will probably return) and thank goodness for NO lines. That was the end of my shopping. I made it back home before 10 a.m. and my hubby was still in bed. I snuggled up on the couch with the animated movie UP and slept away most of the rest of the day. But, I think it was worth it. Next year, I am not venturing out alone. I need a partner to keep me sane in all the madness!

No comments: