Thursday, July 30, 2009

Quilting progress

So, a few years ago I started accumulating dozens of T-shirts from races and events I participated in. A girl can only wear so many shirts, so I decided to make a quilt with them. I picked up a free pattern at JoAnn Fabrics back when I lived in York and started cutting the T-shirts each time that I cleaned out my drawer.
Well, all 26 T-shirt pieces are finally cut and this is what it will sort of look like, the basic layout. I think that was the easy part. Next, I have to cut all the binding, border and sashing to separate all the T-shirts and make it look more uniform. That, may also be fairly easy compared to sewing it all together. My aunt is coming for lunch one day next week. Maybe she can assist me. I just get so scared sewing on a 1/4 inch seam in a straight line that it won't all line up. I guess the more practice I get the better it will be.
Nate asked me if I starched the T-shirts to get them all so stiff, but it's fusible interfacing that you iron on to make it more stiff and easier to work with and sew. If I had to do it again, I would cut out all the right sizes for the interfacing, then match them up with T-shirts. I ended up with 3 pieces that I would have liked to use that didn't really fit into the pattern. I could have deviated from the pattern, but that is even more scary.
So, the next few weeks that I have left of summer will be spent cutting the other pieces...so hopefully I can post that next.

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Wow. That is going to look so cool Nicki!