Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Yay beans!

We have green beans! The garden is in full bloom. Well, sort of. Zucchini is definitely producing many fruits a day. Nate picked at least a quart of green beans last night for dinner. We also picked two cucumbers, which I used for cucumber salad. I really wish some tomatoes or peppers would show face. We had a really yummy dinner last night. I stopped at Giant for fresh a pound of fresh Catfish for about $5. I sprinkled some Cajun seasoning on it and cooked it in foil on the grill for about 20 minutes.
We sauted the green beans in olive oil, garlic and onion and covered them to help soften. And then because my potatoes were seriously rotten (I mean oozing white creamy goop), we had to opt for instant mashed potatoes.

Here is my recipe for Cucumber Salad if you need a use for ALL those veggies!

Cucumber Salad

1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
1 medium onion sliced into rings
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the cucumbers and onions. Chill for 24 hours before serving. YUM!

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Thanks for sharing that recipe Nicki. I certainly have plenty of cucumbers to use up, along with the zucchini you gave me. My green peppers should be ready within a week. I can't wait!