Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When it's OK to waste

The last several batches of cookies I have made have failed to get plump. I know some people like flat, crunchy cookies, but I am not one of them. My mom makes the most killer chocolate chip cookies in the world. They are plump and lumpy and full of gooey goodness.
I consulted my mom on this problem. We decided it was probably the old baking soda I have been using, but I refused to throw it out. Not sure why. I am slightly obsessive compulsive about wasting. After making some white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies for a bake sale at school that were flat and crunchy, I have decided that enough is enough. I think it's OK to throw away the 33 cent box of baking soda (which I am sure is what I paid for it because it has the price sticker on it) and invest in a new box that will reincarnate my plump and lovely cookies. I know, it's scary to throw away food and baking ingredients when you are a frugal saver like me. But when it's just not doing the trick anymore, it's time! Phew, I feel better now.

3 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

I know what you mean about not wanting to waste stuff. But I remind myself to weigh the cost of keeping it (clutter, lack of usefulness, dislike for it) against the guilt of pitching or donating (if it's not expired food!) Then getting rid of something feels like a weight lifted!

Amy said...

At least you don't have to throw away 3 boxes of unopened, expired graham crackers and a box of wheat thins like I do. :) The use by date on all of them is 2008. I'm not even sure why we have so many of them.

Nicki S. said...

Amy, you know me. I shop at BBS and would eat the unopened boxes. I think the date on the box probably says, best if used by...which is really just a quality statement to cover the butts of the manufacturer. I always try it out. I have eaten some pretty bad stuff...but Nate has helped me draw the line at eating stale stuff!