Saturday, May 9, 2009

You eat what?

The conversation started with a container of baby carrot sticks leftover from lunch.
I met some high school friends at Long's Park in Lancaster for a day of prayer event. Knowing that one of them hadn't eaten, I brought all I had -- the carrot sticks.
"Here ya go," I said. "I know it's not much, but all I had to dip it in was mustard, and I don't think too many people are keen on that?"
"Mustard?" the two ladies questioned.
"Yeah," I said, "it's really good. Gross sounding, but really good. And very low in calories."
"I like peanut butter on mine," one said.
"Peanut butter?" I asked with the same astonished expression on my face she just gave me.

That's how our food habits form. Those of us adventurous enough try our friends suggestions sometimes are able to pick up new and exciting food ideas. Mustard on carrots came from Nate, my husband. I didn't want to believe it was good, but now I love it. In college, my roommates ate ketchup on raw broccoli. That is one habit I did not pick up.

But isn't it cool how food ideas spread? I mean, America is the place were hundreds and thousands of food ideas converge. Some we adopt, some we do not.

I never had roasted vegetables until a former coworker invited me over for dinner. Now, that is my favorite way to eat vegetables.

I never had sushi until Amy took me to Blue Pacific for a spider roll. Now, I eat it all the time, raw and all.

Isn't it fun to remember where you first tried certain foods?

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

That's a great subject to write about Nicki. I always get looks when I tell people about my winter comfort food that I got from my dad: slather peanut butter on a slice of bread, fold it in half and dip it into a steamy mug of hot cocoa. Tastes like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Some people are grossed out by the idea of soggy bread, but with the choco and PB, I don't mind it at all!