Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cold weather food

Soup season is almost over. As much as I love winter, I am ready for some warmth and sunshine. I think that my emotions need it.
But since it's here, I took advantage of the cold weather and made some soup in the slow cooker yesterday. I am still learning how to make thick soup. All of my batches are always thin.
I attempted to make corn chowder. I added a can of creamed corn to the crockpot. In a skillet, I cooked some bacon, then added diced potatoes and onions with a little water until the potatoes were cooked to a little soft. I added butter for some flavor. I dumped the skillet's contents into the slow cooker. I added evaporated milk (probably why it's not thick) and a cup of chicken broth. It didn't look chunky enough, so I added some frozen corn. I cooked it on low ALL day. The bacon and chicken broth made for a great flavor, but I wasn't satisfied with the texture. I'll work on that next time.

No comments: