Friday, February 13, 2009

Exhausted

I haven't felt true exhaustion in so long. I was always really responsible about getting to bed on time, getting enough sleep and making sure I wasn't overdoing it.
In the past few week, I have felt exhaustion like never before. I started with Friday, when I was in school during the day and at Cracker Barrel at night. I woke up at 6 a.m. and didn't fall asleep until 1:30 a.m. Saturday morning. I think I did OK catching up over the weekend, but come Monday, I was at overdoing it again. I woke up at 6 a.m. to attend the first solo day of a 12-week sub position dealing with emotional support kids. I left school at 3:20 p.m. and drove to Harrisburg where I studied for a quiz. Then, I went to class. I didn't return home until after 9 p.m., only to do it again the next day. Well, Tuesday after work, it caught up to me. I took a 30 minute nap. Wedensday I took a 2 hour nap. Thursday, I took a 2.5 hour nap. It's getting ridiculous. I go home, sit down and have no energy to get back up. Fortunately, I was able to pull myself out of the funk long enough to take a cycling class last night and walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes. It was invigorating. When debating whether to exercise or not, I always remind myself how alive I feel when I am through, but sometimes the bags under my eyes and the exhaustion in my bones keep me from even attempting.
The exhaustion doesn't look to be ending anytime soon. I have a short time after school today before I have to be back at Cracker Barrel, and I return on Saturday (the bills have to get paid and we have been spending a lot at Lowe's and Home Depot as of late.) Then Sunday looks like a day to run errands, catch up on cleaning and return phone calls. Monday is a holiday, but I still have to go to class.
I am hoping to find a cure for this exhaustion and get back to the crafty, decorating girl I was before I took this 12-week sub gig. Who knew a dozen teenagers could wipe a girl flat on her back?

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

I don't think it's just the teens. I think it's the combination of the newness of teaching PLUS Cracker Barrel PLUS class PLUS homework/studying PLUS house projects all at once.

I'm in the same sort of situation for the next week or so. The only way I'm surviving the hectic pace is by sleeping 9-10 hours a night.