Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dinner ideas made easy

The one thing I miss about living in York is that the Giant supermarkets are more high tech than the one in Shrewsbury. I miss that little machine in the meat department that offers recipes. You can choose a cut of meat, scan the meat and dozens and dozens of recipes are ready for you to print. It's awesome.
For example, pork loin was on sale for buy one get one free. I really only make pork and sauerkraut and roasts before....so I was looking for something new. I scanned the pork and scrolled through the recipes. I ended up choosing Pork Paella. It was basically Cajun-seasoned cubes of pork served over a mixture of rice and beans, wine, clam juice (which I happened to have in the basement...lol) and peas. It was really tasty, filling and not to unhealthy. Pork is a very lean meat (if you trim the fat.)
The scanning machine is just another tool shoppers can use to save time and money. If you are already at the grocery store, you can make sure you have all the ingredients. Some people are intimidated to use new technology, but you will see after the first time you use it...you'll wish you started a long time ago.

3 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Wow, I've gotta look for that next time I go to the Giant in Camp Hill. Hopefully they're high tech enough to have it. Thanks for the tip! You know so much good stuff. :)

Nicki S. said...

I am pretty sure they are! Just not Shrewsbury...they don't even have the good cheese.

Amy said...

Betty Crocker has a dinner made easy newsletter that gives good looking recipes. I haven't tried any yet- but when you sign up, they also send coupons along with the recipes.