Wednesday, January 7, 2009

An easy make-ahead dinner

I know this picture doesn't look too appetizing, but I promise the casserole was so yummy. And it was one of the easiest I made in a long time. It's Creamy Chicken and Rice. I freeze two chicken breasts in each packed and when I cooked off the chicken for the enchiladas, I had a leftover cooked breast. So, I found this recipe. All the ingredients are really inexpensive. I cut the recipe in half and served it with lima beans for Nate and pickled beets for me.

Here ya go, the whole recipe serves 6-8:

4 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup butter, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon seasoned salt 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper 4 to 5 cups cubed chicken
12 ounces process American cheese cubes 2 cups sour cream
1 1/4 cup crushed butter flavored crackers (about 32)

Spread rice in a greased 13-by-9-inch pan; set aside. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and bubbling. Reduce heat; add chicken, cheese and sour cream; stir until the cheese is melted. Pour over rice. Melt the remaining butter; toss the cracker crumbs with the melted butter. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake uncovered at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes. If you refrigerate or freeze, increase cooking time.

4 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Sounds yummy. I don't like lima beans or pickled beets, so I'd serve with another veggie though!

Amy said...

ewww you actually eat pickled beets? You can have the jar that Dad put in our Christmas basket if you want it.

Nicki S. said...

Amy: YES, I freakin' love pickled beets. My first jar is almost gone and he snuck me a second one when Sharan wasn't looking. I'll trade you the beets for the Pea coat...how does that sound?

Amy said...

haha! awesome. a free pea coat and I don't have to eat the beets! deal.