Friday, January 2, 2009

A new beginning

I can't believe it, today is my last day at the York Daily Record. I have worked for Media News Group since Sept. 2, 2003. I think people have gotten used to seeing my face. I was really surprised at the reaction of some of the readers I came in contact with over the past 8 weeks since I gave my resignation letter. They were going to miss me. You see, we journalists usually only hear from readers when we make a mistake and they want to rub it in. It was flattering to say the least.

I have had good times and bad, for sure. I realize that a lot of people think I am making a stupid move -- leaving a flexible job as a food writer, a job many people envy. Apparently, these people don't realize that every job, even this one, has its negatives. And if you haven't read the news - which wouldn't surprise me because that's why this business is weak - newspapers are struggling. I am not jumping ship because of that.

The funny thing is, I've always wanted to teach. I was getting recommendations letters from my J school professors to go back to school for my teaching certificate. But like a good little college graduate, I decided to try out this thing we call journalism. And here I am, 5.5 years later, still trying it out. I loved this job at one time, but it's always been in the back of my mind to teach. I love school and I love kids. And just because I am teaching doesn't mean I can't still write. I couldn't teach while I was writing.

Nate was so encouraging and (thank goodness) financially supportive enough for me to be able to make this move. And my family and friends know that I am a hard worker and no matter how uncertain my teaching career path is, it will work out. So, they support me, too.

I'll keep you updated on my teaching adventures. I am sure I will have great stories to tell, just like I did when I was a journalist.

2 comments:

Lo said...

And we can't wait to hear them! Good luck sista! I know how hard you work, and I know you'll do well whatever you're doing. :)

Nicki S. said...

I love my friends :-)