Thursday, January 1, 2009

Enchiladas

I was so happy to be home today. I actually got to make dinner. And as this year has been going, I've been eating a lot of untraditional meals. I had Chinese on Christmas and now Mexican on New Year's Day. My mom was concerned that I skipped the pork and sauerkraut, but I had pork and sauerkraut on Christmas Eve and I like to save Pork for days when I don't have time to cook.

So, here is my recipe for chicken enchiladas. It turned out pretty good. It was the perfect portion for two. The photo is after we already dug in. I am trying to get better at remembering the photos.

Chicken Enchiladas

1/2 to 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 garlic clove, minced
1 medium onion chopped 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chicken broth (or water0 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped jalapeno peppers Dash of salt
Dash of cumin 6 corn or flour tortillas
One chicken breast (about 1 lb.( shredded) 1 cup mozzarella cheese
Sour cream Green salsa

For the sauce, saute onions in garlic in olive oil in a saucepan until onions are tender. Blend in flour. Stir in broth, milk, jalapenos, salt and cumin. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat; simmer the sauce five minutes; stirring occasionally. Set the sauce aside.

Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Spoon a little sauce in the center of each tortilla and spread to edges. Place about 2 tablespoons meat in the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle with some cheese. Roll up tortillas and place in baking dish seam-side down. Pour remaining sauce over. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Looks yummy. What kind of sauce do you use? I didn't see that in the recipe. Do you mean the sauteed onions and such? I don't like enchilada sauce, but these look good.