Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Decorating the office

This is some of what I have in the black/white room so far. Nate and I bought this bookshelf at Oak Express for a decent price. It's a little too tall for our low ceiling, but we improvised and turned that nice little accent piece on top upside down so it would fit. I love the look books create in decorating, and of course, I love to read them. I organized them together and tried to make a nice display, stacking some vertical and leaving the others horizontal. I also use a lot of glass bottles to decorate. They are a few bucks a piece at yard sales, auctions and the thrift store and they make great accents to any picture/book/art display. Nate has a penchant for collection coins, so instead of having them scattered throughout the house getting stuck in the washer and dryer, I put them in a jar and used it as a book end. You can see it in the top left corner of the shelf if you look really close. It's full. I am working on getting them wrapped and into the bank.

And as promised, here is the art I made on Saturday morning while waiting for my assignment from Amy. It was free. All it cost was the ink from my mom's Sharpie marker and my time and imagination. I am really into the quilted look. I divided the paper into 4-by-4-inch squares and made each it's own little picture. I tried to mix dark and light. I think it turned out OK. I did it all free hand, except for the bottom right corner, I used a stencil.

2 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Wow, that art is pretty impressive! Did you frame it or paste the paper onto something? The bookshelf looks great...I can't wait to see the room once it's all done!

Nicki S. said...

I didn't frame it yet. It's just propped up for now. I did it on a 12-by-12 piece of card stock. A.C. Moore didn't have any black frames in that size when I went. The plan is to frame it. My cousin had a great idea to paint the room army green, since many of the black and whites will be military photos. I like it!