Sunday, January 25, 2009

I've been busy....err...lazy.

I don't really have an excuse as to why I haven't posted in a little while. I only subbed two days this week and worked at Cracker Barrel two days. I find that when I have a whole day with no concrete schedule, I tend to dilly dally. I did give blood on Wednesday, which takes 2 hours apparently, even if you are the 4th in line. After a smooth blood donation (except for having to prick my fingers twice to check my iron), I drove 15 minutes south on 83 to the Shrewsbury Wal-Mart to get one $2.47 skein of yarn for my afghan. When I bought the yarn five years ago, I had different ideas for the pattern, so it turns out I had too much brown and not enough green to complete the thing. I was tempted to just change the pattern, but after all that work, I figured it was best to do it right.
Wouldn't you know it, Wal-mart was out of the only color I needed. Fortunately, I bought Red Heart, a brand without a dye lot, so I didn't have to worry about matching up the yarn.
I asked the employee to call another Wal-mart before I drove all over looking for it. Reluctantly and with a roll of the eyes, she called the East York store. So nearly 2 hours after I set out for my one skein of yarn...I had it in hand and was back at home. See, it pays to know what you are doing before you try to do it to save gas, time and the interaction with Wal-mart workers.

Friday, Nate and I went to Ikea in White Marsh looking for some home project ideas and supplies. He's now all into my 1950's black and white war-themed room (adding the war part to the decor was his idea of course). It's transformed a bit. He's starting to add his two sense, and can I blame him? It's his house, too.
We came home with a really long curtain rod and accessories for about $13. We also bought two paper lanterns to hang in there. When we returned home and sat in the room and looked around for inspiration, I pulled out the fabric I spent hours picking out to coordinate with the black and white quilt (as seen in photo with the fabric) that used to be on my double bed when I was single. The black and white quilted curtains were the anchor and the reason for my ideas in that black and white room and he didn't approve. I was a little disappointed, but he's probably right...it might not fit with Army-green walls and hard wood floors. Oh yeah, we decided to rip up the carpet in there, too. Fortunately, it involves no stripping. The upstairs floors weren't soiled with black felt padding that takes a lot of effort to strip.
I quickly got over the curtains. Marriage is about compromise, after all. So, I will probably use the fabric for pillows on the futon. The thin black and white fabric will make better pillows than curtains. So, I have to add curtains to the list to complete the black and white room. It's a never ending list.

2 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Oh, I know what you mean about "never-ending list" of house projects. I think with guys it's more about how you pitch it to them than the actual reality. (re: your "war" room) hehe

Amy said...

Also gun safes go well in "war themed" rooms. :)