Saturday, January 31, 2009

DIY harwood

I have to say, I have been a bit overwhelmed with home projects lately. It feels like once we finish one, there are three more in it's place. We finally made some progress on the dining room floor. After I stripped it a few months back, it sat untouched through the holiday season. You can see in the before picture we had some trouble spots where the black felt pad and adhesive refused to come off. I can't see why anyone would want to cover this beautiful floor.
Anyway, Nate's dad came over on Friday while I was at work and he and Nate sanded it down. They rented a sander from Tru Value. I think it was $40 for four hours or $50 for a day. I think
I've seen or heard estimates of $1,000 to refinish a hardwood floor. I think by the time all is said and done, we may have spent less than $200. Of course, that doesn't include time, strength and
the annoyance of having a coating of wood dust covering my entire house. I am not complaining (well, maybe just a tad) but I was so happy to see it done.
All the yucky stuff was gone and this is what was in it's place. Nate still has to stain and varnish it. We also have to place a decorative border around the trim to fill in the gap, but hopefully we can finish that in a timely manner. After we finally pick out a light and paint the built-in buffet (surely a blog-worthy event) our dining room should be done. Which is great, because then we can concentrate on the office, or kitchen or garage roof or the bathroom door.....oh heck. I know the list will never end!

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Kudos to Nate and his dad for their hard work. Nothing like a little scheduled father-son bonding to get the jobs done around your house!