Thursday, January 8, 2009

What a great gift

My dad and step mom gave Nate and I this old cheese container filled with homemade canned foods. It was my favorite gift. Partly because it contained pickled beets. I LOVE picked beets. I can eat a quart jar in two days. It also had Nate' favorite -- homemade beef jerky -- and salsa, peppers, spaghetti sauce and cherries. I hope that by next Christmas, I will be able to give a few homemade gifts of food that are healthy. I used to bake dozens and dozens of cookies and candies, but I took a break this year. This seems like such a better idea. I have plans to start my garden, so maybe I can schedule a canning lesson with my dad and make great gifts. I am going to paint the cheese container with a pretty design. Hopefully I can schedule a craft day to get that done.

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

I want to try to grow at least some herbs this spring, maybe tomatoes. We'll see how that goes since I have the opposite of a green thumb and can't seem to keep plants alive. Keep me posted with your tips and tricks.