Thursday, January 15, 2009

Planning dinner

Since I have been working earlier, I have had a lot more time to make dinners. I keep forgetting to take pictures when it looks all yummy and delicious. I opted for no pictures to pictures of leftovers (which we have a lot of.) I've been making a list of meals for the week, planning out what I will make and making sure I have all the ingredients. It makes life so easy. And if something doesn't work out, I just switch out days. It's hard to come up with recipes that I can leave in the oven or on the stove on warm for when Nate gets home late. But, this week I made something called a cassoulet, which according to the Web is a slow cooked bean stew. It was basically a lot of adding and cooking. Nate loved it. And I have to say it was pretty tasty.

Here is what I did:

I chopped six pieces of bacon and fried them in a dutch oven (which my mom tells me is just a large pan with a tight lid) until they were crisp on medium high heat. I cubed a 2-pound pork roast and added that to the pot and cooked it until it was white. Then, I added slices of kielbasa and cooked it for about 2 minutes. Then I added one medium onion chopped, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper as well as a can of diced tomatoes with onions and garlic. I think I added a little water and then to top it all off I added a can of Northern white beans and a can of black eyed peas. The recipe called for something else, but I had those random cans of beans that I wanted to use. Then you stir and let the whole pot warm. The night I made it at 5 p.m., he didn't get home until 1:30 a.m. and it was still good. I just put it on the stove's warmer on low. It makes great leftovers if you can get past the bacon fat that congeals on the side of the bowl when it gets cold.

2 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

That sounds really different. I've been cooking a lot more the past couple of weeks. But I've also been sleeping more and not going to the gym more, too, which isn't a good combination. I have a case of the Januarys! :)

Nicki S. said...

It was different, but it was really good. I am sure you could do it with chicken or something else. I want to try to make more soups, they are fairly easy to do. I have been going to cycling class. Tonight, the teacher was like a drill sergeant. It was dripping sweat. But, I have been eating a ton when I get home since I have time to snack. It's no good!