Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sprucing up lamps

During my 5-plus years at the YDR, I thought I was missing out on daytime TV. Let me tell you, Oprah and Dr. Phil aren't much to miss. But I have caught up on a lot of HGTV. And one thing I notice on nearly all of their shows is that they do many creative things with lamps. Some involve drilling and light kits, while others are as easy as hot glue.
It reminded me of this project, at left, that I did several years ago when I lived with Amy in an apartment. I found the really cool green lamp at Goodwill for $2. It didn't have a shade, so I purchased one at Wal-Mart for less than $10. I chose the brown to add contrast and for something different. I hot glued the gold trim around the top and bottom. For the dangling beads (which I realize are as in vogue as they were five years ago) I used jewelry making supplies. I placed the beads on head pins with flat bottoms. I then bent a circle at the end of each beaded head pin and slipped in onto a jump ring. I then ran each separated each jump ring and ran it through the trim. Voila...a one-of-a-kind lamp that makes a great addition to any room.

No comments: