Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Watching paint dry

All the schools are closed today, so clearly, I am home. Since I am not getting paid, I figured it was probably best to try to get some things done around the house to make me feel useful. And, no, I am not watching paint dry while I write this blog, but I am waiting for it. After I shoveled the sidewalk and walkways around the house, I finally got to work on our tired, white bedroom. I painted the wall behind the bed (our accent wall) the deep maroon that is in our bathroom. I love the color, but the room is too small to paint entirely maroon, so we'll probably do the rest in the tan color of our hallway to tie the three areas together.
It looks awesome. But, since the wall behind it is white, I need to do two coats. (I am too lazy to prime.)
But what took up most of my morning was the finishing the afghan that I started SO long ago. I have to tell you that I can see that my knitting improved over time. The overall piece is definitely amateur, but doesn't look too bad considering it took so long to do. And I hate to say it, but even though Red Heart doesn't have dye lots, you can tell exactly where I ran out of green. The greens are different enough to see. And I think it's wider at the top where I started than at the bottom where I finished, which means I dropped some stitches. But I have to say, it stays together and is a nice warm blanket.
The photo shows the afghan folded in half. The dark color that looks black is actually brown. Now that I look at this photo, I can see more than one color change in the green...oh well. It's a handmade item that hopefully my husband will cherish forever.

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

You will cherish it too because of all the time and work you put into it and because it was your first afghan!

I love the color combinations in it.