Saturday, December 13, 2008

Homemade hummus

If there is one thing you can save money on, it's homemade hummus. It's really easy so it's worth the effort. Nate asked for some recently and I refuse to spend $5 on a 1/4 pint when I can make a pint of homemade for a fraction of the cost.

Here is the recipe I use that came from Family Circle Magazine.

Roasted-Pepper Hummus
1 whole head garlic
2 teaspoons vegetable oil (I use olive)
2 16-ounce cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained
Juice of 2 lemons, about 5 tablespoons
1/4 cup tahini
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch ground cumin
Chopped parsley to garnish

Cut the top off of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves. Place in a small microwave-safe bowl and drizzle with oil. Add 1 tablespoon water to the bowl, then cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on hight for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on size of the garlic. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes, then uncover and squeeze soft garlic from papery skin.
In a food processor, combine garlic cloves, chickpeas, roasted peppers, lemon juice, tahini, hot pepper sauce, salt, cumin and 1/4 cup water. Process until very smooth and mixture has even texture. Add more water for a creamier dip. Refrigerate until serving, then garnish with chopped parsley.

NOTES:
You can find tahini with the Middle Eastern foods at most supermarkets. It's sesame seed paste. I know a lot of people leave it out. I buy a jar and leave it in the refrigerator. It's a tad expensive, maybe $4-$5 for a jar, but it will make many batches of hummus.

TIP:
Many of the recipes I pull from magazines, I slide into plastic protector sleeves and store in 3-ring binders. When I need a recipe, I just pull it out and put it on the counter. I don't have to worry about messy food ruining an entire cookbook. When I am done, I can wipe it with a wash cloth and put it back. I keep my most used recipes in the front of the book.

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is the recipe I use.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon olive oil

DIRECTIONS

1. In a blender or food processor combine garbanzo beans, garlic, cumin, salt and olive oil. Blend on low speed, gradually adding reserved bean liquid, until desired consistency is achieved.

Nicki S. said...

That sounds so much easier!