Saturday, December 20, 2008

Homemade jewelry

Ever since I started beading, I have had a hard time buying jewelry. I always say, "I think I could make that." It happens with a lot of other things, too, but lately it's been jewelry. After making a bracelet for Christmas gift, I decided I wanted one, too. Friday night I sat down for about 30 minutes and made this bracelet. It's really a beginner bracelet. I attached some thin wire to a clasp and threaded on various shades of green crystals and pearls and silver accents. I am really into the mismatch bracelets. I like to pick one or two colors and get beads in all shades to make a piece. I think beading is a lot of trial and error. I have made so many pieces that have fallen apart because the clasp wasn't sturdy. It's really discouraging to spend so much time on a gift for someone to have it fall apart. But, I am learning.

2 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Learning very well, I'd say!

Lo said...

I got into beading about a year ago, and I was struck by how much it cost to get everything you needed to get started (tools, supplies, etc.). But, once you have all those things, it is a lot cheaper and more fulfilling to make your own jewelry, I find, because I will always picture the type of piece I'm looking for when I shop, but can never find it--now I can just make it (as long as I get my lazy butt to sit down and do it!)