Thursday, December 11, 2008

Look at your receipts

Sometimes we are all in a hurry and don't have time to look at bills, review bank and credit card statements and take inventory of receipts. But I tell you, computers make mistakes. So do businesses and people. And, if you don't draw their attention to it, you lose money.

Here is an example. Nate and I went out to dinner. The waitress overcharged us nearly $4. He didn't want me to say anything. But to me, $4 is $4. That was the tip. There are times I will not go through the hassle -- like the time the price on the Wal-Mart shelf didn't match up with what rang up. It wasn't worth arguing, I just wanted to get the heck out of there.

Anyway, I persisted. I explained to him that if someone nice like me didn't point it out to her, she would probably continue to make the mistake and someone less kind would make a scene, scarring her for life.


He got up from the table and walked away because he was embarrassed.

I am still trying to figure that one out. It's not like I was asking for free food because mine didn't taste right or something. I was asking for the fair price that I was supposed to be charged.

I didn't make a scene. I nicely pointed the mistake out to the waitress, she went to the back and came out with a new check. "You are absolutely right," she said. "It saved you a few bucks." She wasn't mad at all and she probably learned something. As for Nate, well, he can go on being embarrassed because I don't think their is anything wrong with paying the right price. It's only fair.

2 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

I think you did the right thing. Neither extreme --- making a scene about it, or ignoring it -- resolve the problem in an appropriate way. Sounds like you handled it well.

Amy said...

Hey I bought two Oven Stuffer Roasters at Acme because they were buy one get one free. But the bar code wouldn't swipe so she just hand scanned it in as "meat". Anyway- good thing I noticed and went back in to get my $12.44 back. :)