Monday, December 22, 2008

I'm getting nervous

I don't know how many times I have told myself that life shouldn't revolve around money. But I think God placed a computer chip in my brain at birth that is constantly on high-alert for financial things. I think I should have been an accountant.

Anyway. As many of you know, I am leaving my journalism career in two weeks to return to school (which costs $1,762 per class..yikes). Between substituting, waitressing, freelancing and whatever else I can scrounge up, I am going to be working many more than 37.5 hours a week like I do now. Yet, I still won't be making as much as a I make right now. It's freakin' scary. I keep trying to override the computer chip that says, "it will never work." Nate and I have gotten used to a comfortable budget of spending whenever and however we want (within my frugal reasoning and his practicality, anyway.)

But I try to remind myself that it's not money that buys happiness. It's heart and following it and being passionate about what you do. I have a huge heart, and I want to use it. I love to write and I will always have a special place in my heart for my time doing it. But, I keep reminding myself that it wasn't meant to be my life's blood and a 40-year career.

So, even frugal Nicki (who my brother-in-law-to-be says can pinch a dime from two pennies) realizes that no matter how much money you make, save, spend, etc., you can put aside the paycheck and know and trust that everything will work out.


I say that, but every night before bed, the mental calculator punches away numbers. Then I pray and the calculator is silenced. Thank goodness for that.

2 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Yeah, but you're going to be such a great teacher that I'll bet some school district will snatch you up for the fall. So it will be just a few months of sacrifice.

Nicki S. said...

Thanks Jen, I am really going to miss you at work every day. I am working on organizing craft night.