Monday, December 15, 2008

Recycled Christmas Cards

I save every card I've ever been given. I save them in shoe boxes. A few years ago, I decided to try to do something with them. So, I make recycled Christmas cards (I plan to do it for birthdays, etc, but I have yet to remember to do it on a regular basis.)

Last year after Christmas I bought red and green cards, envelopes and card stock at the craft store for a greatly reduced price. I stored them in my craft closet. I dug out all my old Christmas cards. I reread them before I use them, so it bring back great memories.

Then, I get to work. I separate the front of the card from the part that was written in. Sometimes, I save the little message or small photos for gift tags. I usually cut out an accent color to add some color. I attach that to the card, then the photo to that and voila, you have a new, homemade card. I use mono adhesive. Why? Because that is what my mom (the art, craft, stamper queen) told me to use. You can buy it at the craft store.

All the cards look different. Each is colorful. And I can create my own message, since I am a writer and all.

You can also use the cards to decorate plain gift bags. Using card stock and cards, make a creative display on the bag. Dress it up with matching ribbon, bows and jingle bells.

My other tip to save money is to shop after the holidays for the next year's Christmas cards. You can get huge boxes of cards for a few dollars. They don't rot. In fact, they store quite nicely with your Christmas supplies.

Cheers, to creating great holiday cards!

No comments: