Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Homemade potpourri

I love making homemade things. Especially when you can use something you might otherwise throw out. It's like an addiction to me.

I made homemade potpourri for my aunts for Christmas. It was very simple, but I think it makes a special gift.

A few years ago, I had a lot of dried flowers that I had saved. I keep them in a bowl. Anytime I have flowers, I dry them and add to the bowl. The bowl is full now. I keep these around just in case I need them for decoration, but they make a great potpourri base.

Here is what you need to make potpourri:

Orris root
Essential oil/scents
Dried flowers, pine cones, acorns, etc.

Directions:

You can buy Orris root the Flower and Craft Warehouse in Blue Ball, PA. I think you can probably buy it at any flower or craft store in the flower aisle. Same for the oil. Drop a few drops of the oil on the orris root and shake it up in a bag. Add the dried flowers and decoration to the bag and tie it closed with a nice ribbon. Voila. It's homemade potpourri. You can give it as a gift with a little candle.
**The trick with the orris root is that it holds the scent better than the flowers, etc. So, but adding it directly to the orris root, the potpourri will stay scented longer.

1 comment:

Jen Vogelsong said...

I never even heard of orris root!