Friday, December 19, 2008

I decked the stairs

I had the pile of greens spread out on my kitchen floor. As you can see, my cats had a lot of fun playing in it. I think they even ate some.

I found the motivation on Wednesday night to finally decorate the banister on the staircase like I planned to.

I have to tell you that I am not a patient person when it comes to decorating. If I can take shortcuts, I do, as long as it looks OK. When I have a vision, I want it to appear immediately. I know, I am working on this.
I don't really have a process of how I did this. My thought was to join the branches together with flower wire and then weave it up the staircase. That didn't really work out so hot. I ended up sort of attaching a few, then I got bored. So, I took the little thin string over the banister and just laid it there. I attached it to the banister with flower wire. I then fattened it up by just sticking random branches into the bare spots. Most of them stayed. I just used a little flower wire of they didn't. Anyway, the ribbon is what really helped tie it all together, pun totally intended.

I cut a piece of gold gross-grain ribbon and tied it so there was just the flat front showing. I did this on every three spaces. Then, I tied the perfect bow (a future post will show this) using the gold and a little organza green for a holiday touch. I used a straight pin to attach it to each of the ribbons. I don't think it turned out too bad!

2 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

Kitties need to have holiday fun, too! Kharma likes to watch when I wrap presents, keeping an eye out for any stray strands of ribbon or tubes of paper scraps.

The garland looks great!

Nicki S. said...

Ivan EATS ribbon.